Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Welcome to the World, Grace Catherine

So we had what turned out to be our FINAL check-up on December 23rd. They did a non-stress test for what seemed like forever. Overall, everything looked great! Grace was ready to come, so we schedule an induction for that night.
We went home, packed our bags and ate dinner. Then before we knew it, we were on our way back to the hospital.
We arrived at the hospital at 8:45pm on 12-23. We were checked in and put in our birthing suite room. At about 10:30 an IV was inserted and Pitocin was started. They started it at a very low dose and I felt fine. A little bit of pressure of now and then, but nothing major. They came in about every hour to up the dosage. Around 5am I was still only at 3cm. I was beginning to think Grace was never coming. It was also around this time that the contractions became extremely strong and right on top of each other.
At 8:00 am 12-24, I couldn't handle the strength of the contractions anymore and opted for the epidural. I had not slept at all up to this point because of the contractions. At 8:15am I was being given my epidural. I made 10 hours without one, I was happy about that. The epidural was a godsend. I was able to rest a little after that. At 8:30am I was checked again and was 4.5cm dilated and 80% effaced. By 9:30am I reached 6cm and was officially 100% effaced, -1 (which means the baby's head is 1cm outside the pelvis.) We were excited to hear it wouldn't be too much longer. I decided to try to nap since I was going to have to start pushing soon. My doctor and nurse went to lunch and said they'd check me when they got back. 1:00pm I was 10cm, 100% effaced and -2. We started pushing at 1:20. About 5 pushes later and Grace had arrived. 1:32pm Christmas Eve, was when she joined us! John got to assist in the whole delivery. Once I pushed her shoulders out I was able to reach down and pull her the rest of the way out and straight to my chest. It was the most amazing moment ever. She is absolutely beautiful. She was 7lbs 6oz, 19.5 inches long with a 33cm head. She had a full head of dark hair. She has full pouty lips, big brown eyes (for now), Mommy's nose and Daddy's chin.
We are so excited to finally have her with us. She is our dream come true.

Pictures to follow soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment